The Portland Tango Association Scholarship Fund
Stay informed, subscribe below!
The Portland Tango Association Scholarship Fund is administered by the Portland Tango Association, a non-profit corporation organized under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The scholarship is funded through donations made to PTA and as such are tax deductible to the extent allowable by the IRS.
The distribution of financial assistance is at the discretion of the Portland Tango Association Board of Directors.
The fund does not favor any teacher or sponsor but reserves the right to determine which classes or workshops qualify for assistance.
The primary purpose of the Fund is to provide financial assistance for group classes with Portland tango teachers or workshops with visiting tango instructors.
Workshops with visiting instructors may be sponsored by Portland area tango teachers or other members of the Portland tango community. Providing some financial assistance can enable students to take lessons that they might not otherwise be able to afford. This benefits the teaching community as well.
At the discretion of the Board of Directors of the Portland Tango Association, the fund may also provide assistance for other tango events in the Portland area.
Those wishing to apply for assistance should submit the application provided below.
If you have any questions, please contact us through the form below.
The Portland Tango Association Scholarship Fund is designed to work as simply as possible.
- Student fills in this form
- The PTA Scholarship Committee reviews the information and if the request is approved, makes an offer of assistance.
- If the offer is accepted, the Scholarship Committee contacts the instructor to confirm enrollment in the class and coordinate payment.
Typically, the Fund covers 1/3rd to 2/3rds of the cost.
All requests are reviewed and responded to promptly. The same general process is used for visiting instructor workshops except that contact and payment will be made to the sponsor rather than the teacher.
How it works
- To be approved for assistance, an applicant should be a resident of the greater Portland metropolitan area.
- No specific demonstration of need is required other than the desire to begin learning Argentine tango or, for more advanced students, to further their skill level.
- Instructors should be recognized Portland area tango teachers. Sponsors for visiting instructors should be residents of the Portland metropolitan area.
- Typically, only group classes or workshops are eligible for assistance. Other types of requests may be submitted, however, but approval will be solely at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee.